- Feb 22 2023
- 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Public Q&A session…Restoring and Preserving the Bales School
Join Milford School District for a public Q&A session to raise awareness about the restoration project of the historic Bales School. The warrant article will go before voters in March 2023.
Session will be held Wednesday, February 22 at 6:00 at the Bales Gymnasium
The project will…
1. Return to service several thousand square feet of space that the town already owns!
2. Improve air quality be moving asbestos from floors, walls and windows at Bales
3. allow the SAU (Superintendent, HR, business offices and student support services) to move to the renovated spaces at Bales giving much needed space back to the High School including space for their Alternative Education Program (Project Drive)
4. allow the Jacques school to have an inclusive space for their lunchroom and auditorium by using the Bales gymnasium for Physical Education and newly renovated classroom space at Bales for Jacques School Art, Music, and Library classes
5. Moving Jacques Art, Music and Library classes will open up space at Jacques for Preschool classroom space (which is currently housed at Heron Pond). Moving preschool back to Jacques will open up much needed classroom space at Heron Pond for the upper elementary classes.
A little history about the Bales School:
– Formerly called Centennial High School, it was built in 1894 for a total cost of $47,000!
– Centennial High School served Milford students for 67 years.
– The building was remodeled in 1969 and renamed Bales Elementary School (in honor of Harold C. Bales, Superintendent of Schools from 1919-1939)
– Bales Elementary School operated from 1969-2001.
– From 2001-2004 the Bales building sat vacant, until 2004 when it was utilized for student support services as well as the alternative high school program, formerly Sage, now called Project Drive).
For more information head to the Milford School District website