- May 13 2023
- 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Milford Thrives Family Friendly Hikes
Join Milford Thrives and our partners from Milford Conservation Commission as we explore local hiking spots! Held on the second Saturday of the month, we’ll lead you on guided walks through local area family-friendly paths and trails.
The name “Ponemah” refers to the “land of the hereafter” from Longfellow’s “Hiawatha.”
The 75-acre Ponemah Bog Wildlife Sanctuary belongs to the Audubon Society of NH. The bog sanctuary features a three-acre pond surrounded by a floating sphagnum mat and encircled by upland oak-pine woods. This bog resulted from the last receding glacier, which left a kettle hole pond in the Souhegan River outwash plain.
Come enjoy the unusual flowering plants such as rhodora, bog rosemary and bog lavender plus carnivorous plants such as pitcher plants and sundew. Bounce on the boardwalks that ‘float’ upon the sphagnum moss. It’s a most unique habitat! You’ll love it!
- – If rain precedes the hike, wear watershoes or rubber boots.
- – Also recommended you wear insect repellent and sunscreen.
- – Appropriate for all ages.
- – Not stroller friendly but good for child carriers.
- – No dogs allowed at the Bog as it is a wildlife refuge.